- Soreness can be relieved by rinsing the mouth with warm water & salt and mouthwash.
- Dissolve one teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of warm water, and rinse vigorously.
- Soreness should end by the third or fourth day.
Loosening of Teeth
- Teeth may feel loose during treatment. This is expected and normal.
- Teeth will again become rigidly fixed in their new positions.
- Brush your teeth more regularly than normal (after every meal) as there is no room for any carelessness during orthodontic treatment.
- Use circular, vibrating motions around the gum line 10 seconds on each tooth. Brush slowly; each arches separately, every tooth.
- Be careful when eating, not to break your orthodontic appliances.
- For the first few days, soft foods are more appropriate.
- Food should be cut into small pieces, and chewing should be done with the back teeth.
- NEVER bite into anything with your front teeth – your braces will break off: such as, apples, pears, corn on the cob, chicken wings, and any meat on the bone.
- Hard foods are off limits or must be cut up in small pieces and chewed with your back teeth: such as, hard cookies, pizza crust, hard breads, hard pretzels, bagels, hard candies, frDo not chew on pens, pen caps, pencils, straws or fingernails.
ozen snacks, ice cubes and raw vegetables.
- Chewy, sticky candies are OFF LIMITS. There are absolutely no exceptions.
- Do not chew on pens, pen caps, pencils, straws or fingernails.