Care of your Mouth
- Start brushing, flossing, and continue your prescribed oral hygiene regime immediately.
- You may have to GO EASY at first, but make every effort to keep your mouth plaque free. We recommend rinsing your mouth several times on the day of treatment, with warm salt water (use 1/4 tsp salt to 8 oz. water).
Discomfort and Bleeding
- Sensitivity to cold or touch may temporarily occur. Removing all plaque from the tooth surfaces and bruising with a fluoride tooth paste or fluoride that we may prescribe will usually reduce or eliminate sensitivity in a day or two.
- Slight bleeding may continue for several hours following the procedure. This is not unusual and should stop. If bleeding persists beyond a few hours, please call our office.
- Your next meal should be soft. Avoid any hot, spicy, and hard gritty foods such as peanuts, popcorn, chips, for at least 3-4 days.
Smoking and Exercise
- Please refrain from smoking for 24 hours or longer after scaling.
- Avoid any aerobic activity for the rest of the day; e.g., jogging, tennis, racket ball, anything strenuous. Take it easy.